Tuesday, June 7, 2011

It's Not Oz. It's Not Kansas......but It's Close.

Just over two weeks ago I knew what I'd be doing after June 15th, the last day of school for the boys. They'd head off later that week to their dad's house for a couple weeks and I'd focus big time on house projects, as well as a little relaxation. It was a no-brainer.

Another plan for that particular time period, although somewhat tentative, was to visit a friend in Texas for a few days and then drive back to Michigan via Route 66, one of my passions, especially since last summer when I drove a large portion of the Mother Road through Illinois. One of many towns along Route 66 that I was looking forward to stopping in was going to be Joplin, Missouri, the first town east of the Kansas/Missouri border. Joplin has some interesting history

Yep, that was my  plan and if the Texas visit fell through, I would certainly make some progress in the new house, maybe surprise Spencer by completing his bedroom and finish painting Cooper's bed so he could get off the sofa/sleeper in his room. So anyway, going back a couple weeks, on May 22nd, I stopped by the cemetary to take a look at mom's headstone which had finally been placed. I picked that day because it would have been dad's 82nd birthday on the 22nd, and I wanted to see mom and dad's stones together for the first time. I got home later that evening and shortly after the boys were in bed, I jumped on the computer to check my email, work on my other blogs, post some photos to Facebook..... the usual routine. That's when I saw the reports of yet another weather-related disaster...... this time, my Route 66 town, Joplin, Missouri. Another tornado. Well we all know by now that this was not just another tornado.


I don't know for sure why I am so drawn to this tragic event. So many have been happening lately and how can we ever forget 9/11? I won't ever forget that unspeakable loss of lives, but still, I felt helpless and I was just another far-away observer. Same thing with Hurricane Katrina, the tsunami in Japan, the very recent tornado in Alabama. I could  go on but it's all the same thing....... bad things taking place that make me sad, mad, or speechless, but I have always just gone on with everyday life.

Not anymore. Within a few days of the tornado, I couldn't keep it out of my mind, and before a week had gone by, I knew what to do. Forget relaxing,or even painting furniture or stripping floors. I'm jumping in the van and heading to Joplin. What will I do? Whatever I can!

No comments: